Thursday 24 October 2013

The Tiramisu Cake Challenge - Part 1

So here's the deal:  I have a little challenge to conquer this weekend.  

The bf's dad is having a birthday lunch and his mum has invited me to join them.  Being Asian and a product of a very particular mother means I MUST bring something, so I spent a good part of Monday and Tuesday racking my brain for something that'd make a suitably acceptable contribution.

At first, I thought that I could turn Alice Medrich's amazing brownie recipe into a cake but I'd already brought that to Christmas dinner last year.  After agonizing for a bit and browsing complicated cake recipes online,  I was about to give up and order a cake when I remembered Grefin's forever reliable Tiramisu recipe!!

Now, this recipe was handed down by a dear friend from Uni days who's an amazing cook and baker.  It's easy peasy and always guaranteed to be a hit.  But....how to get it to look like a proper cake?  More research had to be done.

Finally, I've settled on what I think will be a killer combination - Grefin's delicious marscapone filling, Delia Smith's sponge cake and Dorie Greenspan's Tiramisu cake method.  Mind you, I've not baked many cakes and this will be my first sponge with filling and frosting.  So many things could go wrong!!  But if I pull this off, it will be beyooteeful.  I hope.

Wish me luck!  I'll be back to share the AFTER...


No comments:

Post a Comment