Monday 21 October 2013

Being a voiceover talent

Growing up, one of my most prized possessions was a small tape recorder.  It was a gift from my mother, who I think, bought it for practical reasons (recording seminars and lectures she attended for work) but she soon realized I'd get way more use and amusement out of it.

For several years, that tape recorder was a constant companion.  I narrated stories on it, recorded my mum telling tales from her childhood and even got her to sing.  Honestly, it was like having my own mini radio show.  It's a precious memory that I always come back to, when people ask how I got into radio and voiceovers.

The Straits Times contacted me last week for an interview on what I do as a voiceover talent, and I was excited to share that story with them.  I told them how I'd always been fascinated with narrating and voicing things and how I'd even record voicemail messages complete with bossa nova music background on my home phone as a kid.   Who knew I'd eventually end up working for a company that specializes in phone messages and productions?!

As there were quite a few other talents featured in the article, I'm guessing not all of our stories were aired, so I'm sharing this one here instead.   You know how they say that work isn't work if you love what you do?  That's me and voiceovers to a T.   Nothing more rewarding and fun than tackling a script and making it come alive, whether it's playing a mum, sultry siren or a sophisticated narrator.   I'm just glad to have had the chance to learn the craft, and I couldn't have done it without my stint at the Radio Academy that led to a job at Lush 99.5 and Symphony 92.4.

It really is true, if you're passionate about something, you'll find your way to what you were meant to do.   And if you ever happen to need a voice for your project, I'd love to work on it with you.

Visit me here for demos and more information!

(Photo from the Straits Times)


No comments:

Post a Comment