Wednesday 30 October 2013

An Ode to Vegemite


I re-discovered an old favourite yesterday, something that I haven't tasted for more than a decade.  Vegemite - a spread like no other and one that sparks a love/hate debate among many. 


When my colleague mentioned it in passing, I suddenly found myself craving a slice of golden buttered toast, with just a thin scraping of Vegemite on top.   It brought me back to Uni days in Perth and the dining hall we'd stagger into, in various forms of just-woke-up-and-threw-whatever-on.  Sitting down to a leisurely breakfast meant two slices of Vegemite toast washed down with a glass of cordial-like orange juice (yikes).  Man I miss those days.


At any rate, this strange and sudden craving had me hitting the nearest NTUC Fairprice on the way home, where I pounced on a jar of Vegemite on the International Selection shelves.  And such was my greediness that I had a full dinner, followed by a snack of Vegemite and buttered cream crackers.  Aaaaah...so good.

Welcome back to my life, Vegemite!

No comments:

Post a Comment